The Assistant Transport Manager will be responsible for assisting the Transport Manager in the day to day management of Transport operations, operating a small fleet of HGV’s with Hydraulic loaders planning cost efficient routes with a fully compliant team through to lift management whilst providing the highest level of service to our customers.
The role will include some representation of the company’s business to clients including new business development and the support of existing client base responsibilities. You will also be a key part of the management team driving key efficiencies and improving driving and safety standards.
You will be highly motivated with the desire to make a difference and a proven track record in a similar role delivering continuous improvement. Excellent organisation, communication and influencing skills are required along with the ability to analyse data and provide reports.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Organise your driver team and fleet of 32t/44t vehicles to ensure adequate staffing and performance levels are achieved and that the transport operations achieve customer service levels
- Ensure the transport operation runs safely and is compliant with all "O" licence regulations.
- Effective planning and utilising the fleet to its maximum potential
- Actively work to maintain workload in line with targets for vehicles under their control from both internal and external clients
- Work with the Transport Manager ensuring the fleet is regularly serviced and the MOT schedule is adhered to.
- Effective driver de-briefing
- Ensure drivers are motivated and well instructed.
- Obtain and maintain required qualifications for duties.
- Maintain a Transport & Resource diaries to plan works with Sales, Production and external clients
- Ensure Client order has been received prior to any orders being placed or resource needs confirmed.
- Arrange external transport and other services required for successful lift/project completion within budget.
- Detailed knowledge of in-house system used to support this role and that of Transport Management for which training will be given but basic Microsoft skills are essential.
- Liaise with Sales on an on-going basis from receipt of initial enquiries right through to post project/lift providing feedback on any omissions and or additions to any item of the original schedule of works or supply.
- The role will require full Appointed Person qualification (with NVQ) plus various vocational qualifications to be held in order for the full scope of activities to be carried out by the Appointed Person.
- Any other duties may be assigned from time to time.
This role is a Monday - Friday fully office based role and would suit someone with previous transport management skills.